Technology is all around; in fact, it’s almost inescapable for anyone living in the modern world. Cell phones, microwaves, cars, jets, computers, stereos, and other electronic devices are just some of the many electronic gadgets which all emit some degree of Electromagnetic Frequency (EMF). The health degeneration caused by constant bombardment of these frequencies has been shown to be quite damaging; therefore it is a necessity to gain awareness of what EMF’s are and how to protect oneself.
Electromagnetic waves are made from the movement of electrically charged particles. These electromagnetic waves are known as ‘electromagnetic radiation’ because they radiate from those electrically charged particles. In a typical environment, they can go through air, empty space, and most other substances. The book “Earthing” by Clinton Ober clues more in on why the human vessel can be in jeopardy living amidst all these waves, but in essence, abnormal disconnection from the Earth’s surface makes one more susceptible, and in the long term it seems EMF rays can cause health havoc.
Scientific studies have listed the following as possible effect from EMF’s: mood disorders, cancer clusters in places with high voltage power lines, allergies, stress, and fatigue. From a variety of sources, evidence points to the supported conclusion that this radiation is very harmful.
Recent findings also show that electromagnetic frequencies emitted from cell phones can cause or speed tumors in the head. While it has not been thoroughly studied, more signs show that that EMF’s may be linked with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS or Lou Gehrig’s Disease). The Cleveland clinic even announced that cell phone radiation is linked with lower sperm.
The health implications are many, but there are a variety of ways you can protect yourself and family from EMF waves.
1. Ground on Earth
Until the last couple hundred of years, humans primarily walked barefoot and were outdoors most of the day. Science shows that an actual energetic grounding occurs when one has contact on natural surfaces, even to a point where harmful EMF can travel over the body. It’s shown that through earth connection, one becomes more alkaline, less stressed, and has improved immune system, among other benefits.
If you work in an office space in the concrete jungle of the city, make an effort to have natural plants indoors, spend a portion of your free time at home outside or on the grass during breaks, and make an effort to walk barefoot when possible.
2. Wear an EMF blocking pendant
New technologies – some sketchy, some very reliable – have emerged as alternative means to protect from damaging EMF’s. Quantum Balance necklaces are one example, alternative and attractive pendants which are shown to shield one from the majority of frequencies. Research for one that suits your personal needs.
3. Protect your Home
You can find a bio-electric shield for your home or apartment, somewhat of a necessity especially if you are in range of neighbor’s Wi-Fi or own many electrical appliances. Brands vary, but search for a reliable, well-tested, and scientifically backed energy neutralizer.
4. Unplug appliances
Besides wasting energy, electronics when plugged in emit higher EMF’s. Coffee pot, curling iron, microwave, printer, computer, etc…, if it’s not in use, save energy and curb the damage you may be doing to yourself.
5. Safeguard your Bedroom
Keep your bedroom clear from as many electrical conveniences as possible. Never leave your laptop around your sleeping area; within 3 feet of your head, EMF emitting technologies can interfere with your sleep and inhibit your regenerative patterns through the night.
6. Laptop Risks
Cozying up on the couch with your laptop may seem convenient, but it is not recommended. Laptops emit the strongest frequency when plugged in and charging (when the battery is closest to your hands), so work away from its charger and avoid using the computer on your lap. Whenever possible, strive to avoid working directly on a laptop computer by plugging in a secondary keyboard and mouse to help lessen your exposure (this is especially helpful if you are working on your laptop for extended periods of time).
7. Avoid installing Wi-Fi in your home
In October of 2007, the German government advised its public to avoid using wi-fi because of the possible health risk they pose. Strong waves from Wi-Fi, which emit electromagnetic radiation even when they aren’t in use, can be curbed by avoiding the installation of cord-free internet. Use the free internet at the cafe down the street instead and save some money while you’re at it.
8. Ban Blue-tooth Headsets
When using a cell phone, use the speaker or headphones. Do not use a Blue-tooth wireless headset: combined with the phone, it can exceed even the current inadequate safety limits.
The lights you install at home can also make a difference. Avoid installing low-voltage (12 volt) halogen, fluorescent tube and energy-efficient compact fluorescent lighting (CFL). Virtually all of these energy efficient technologies can throw a nasty EMF from their ballast or transformer. They also create ‘dirty electricity’ (high frequency radiation that emanates from your home’s wiring). The good news is that cleaner LCD lighting technology is just around the corner, so wait for it to develop and lower in price before doing major lighting upgrades.
10. Don’t Wear Your Phone like a Beeper
A better place for your phone is in your backpack, purse, or briefcase; electromagnetic radiation diminishes rapidly beyond 3 feet, making it a safer option. A cell phone is relatively neutral to carry on your person if in ‘flight’ mode or ‘off line; however, if that is not an option, favor keeping the keypad positioned towards your body and the battery facing outward. Another tip is to exchange the side of your head you normally talk on with the phone.
You may not be able to escape from technological tools which, let’s face it, have transformed modern day living substantially, but you can alter the degree of electromagnetic radiation which targets your body. Utilizing the above tips, you can safeguard your health and future in a subtle, but surely important, way.
Electrical Pollution Interferes with Your Body’s Cells
EMF should be considered a harmful invader to your body, just like any other environmental toxin. It interferes with your health at the cellular level because you are actually an electrical being.
Your body is a complex communication device where cells, tissues, organs and organisms all “talk.” At each of these levels, the communication includes finely tuned bio-electrical transmitters and receivers, which are tuned like tuning into a radio station.
What happens when you expose a radio antenna to a significant amount of external noise? You get static from the noise — and that is what is happening to your body in today’s electrosmog environment.
Two of the more well-known biological impacts from electrosmog are the interruption of your brain wave patterns leading to behavior issues and the interference with your body’s communication system (cytoskeleton) leading to abnormal neurological function, such as dementia, chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia.
At a cellular level, your cell membrane receptors (the brain of the cell) recognize electromagnetic fields at very low levels of exposure producing a stress response similar to that produced by exposure to heavy metals or toxic chemicals.
This can cause the cell membrane to go from an “active” or permeable state where it allows nutrients in and toxins out, to an “inactive” state where the cell membrane is impermeable.
During a normal day, your cells will change states thousands of time, but when under constant environmental stress, the membranes can be locked in the inactive state.
This is often referred to as “oxidative stress” as nutrients are able to enter into the cell, while toxins (free radicals) are not allowed to leave.
There is also real evidence that this inactive state can even have geno-toxic effects, meaning electrosmog is toxic by both damaging DNA and preventing your body from repairing DNA, which can be the first step to cancer.
For health, your body must be able to communicate within itself, that is, to be in harmony with the natural rhythm of the earth and all life. The chaotic and unpredictable patterns from electrosmog can create noise in your body and force your body out of harmony.
The Six Primary Types of EMF
In the interview above Vicki Warren explains the primary EMFs to check for around your home:
- Static Electric Fields: These are made up of static electricity caused by ions released from synthetic materials in your home. When combined, they can make you feel unwell, which underscores the importance of choosing natural materials for your furniture, cabinetry, flooring and other building supplies.
- Residual Magnetism: Most often this occurs from metal in your bed, which can change its magnetic field. Your body sleeps best in a constant magnetic field, rather than one impacted by metals. (If you hold a liquid-filled compass over your sleeping area, north should always be north; a spinning compass signals residual magnetism).
- Power Frequency: This includes the wiring in your walls, electrical outlets, extension cords, lamps, and other electricity sources. They produce electric fields that essentially turn your body into a large antenna and interfere with your cells’ ability to communicate with one another. A bedroom disrupted with power frequency is especially unhealthy to sleep in, as cells cannot regenerate properly, potentially leading to insomnia and other diseases.
- Power Frequency Magnetic Fields: These are caused by building wiring errors and also when power lines to your home run underground near your sleeping area. An electrical panel box located on a wall near your sleeping area or even a refrigerator or TV located on the other side of the wall from where you sleep can also lead to power frequency magnetic fields.
- Radiofrequency/Communications: This includes a broad range of cordless phones, wireless devices, cell phones and cell phone towers, all of which can interfere with your health.
- Radioactivity (and its byproduct radon): Radioactivity enters your home from building materials (such as granite — one-third of the granite in homes is radioactive) or radon gas coming up out of the ground.
Light and sound are also part of the EMF spectrum, so if you’re near a highway or airport that surrounds your home in artificial light or excessive noise, you can also be impacted by that, although this is less common than the EMF sources listed above.
When Dealing with EMF, Start in Your Sleeping Area
It’s during sleep that your body regenerates and detoxifies, so you want your bedroom to be a sleeping sanctuary with very low EMF issues. It’s a given that you’re going to be exposed to varying levels of EMF during your waking hours, so giving your body a break during the night is really important.
First, make sure that your bed does not contain any metal. The vast majority of beds (90-95 percent) contain metal springs and/or frames. Unfortunately, these metal frames and metal box springs can amplify and distort the earth’s natural magnetic field, which can lead to a non-restful sleep along with a range of other symptoms including:
- Depression and fatigue
- Muscle cramps
Research has shown that for your body to properly detoxify during sleep it must be alkaline, and high electromagnetic fields lead to acidity. This is especially true for heavy metal detoxification.
To find out if your bed contains residual magnetism, I encourage you to use the compass trick that Vicki Warren describes (if a liquid-filled compass spins when held over your bed, it means residual magnetism is present). You can further make your bedroom a low-EMF sleep sanctuary by:
- Turning off all the fuses at night (or at least those that are in your bedroom).
- Shielding your bed with a special metalized fabric to protect yourself from harmful frequencies that can disrupt cellular communication.
- If you are constructing a new home or renovating one and the walls are being rebuilt you can install radiant barrier, which is a tough type of aluminum foil that will also very effectively screen out the EMF. This is what I did for my own bedroom.
- At minimum, moving your bed so that your head is at least 3-6 feet from all electrical outlets. If you are constructing the walls you can put the wires inside pipes, which will virtually eliminate the fields that are generated in the room when the current runs through the wire.
- Turning off and unplugging everything electrical in your sleeping area, including your computer, WI-FI, cell and portable phones.
- Sleeping on a non-metal bed and mattress.
More Tips for Creating a Healthy, Low-EMF Home Environment
There are several more steps you can take to lower your EMF burden right now:
- Beware that cell phones and WI-FI are not the only EMF sources you need to be cautious of. Essentially, most all electronics will generate EMFs, including the wiring in your home, electric alarm clocks, electric blankets, computers and lamps, just to mention a few. For best results, avoid using electric blankets and electric heating pads, and unplug all electrical appliances when not in use. Even better, turn off the fuses directly.
- Protect yourself from cordless phones. A cordless phone base station placed about two feet from your head and plugged in for three minutes at a time can significantly disrupt your health, including your heart rhythms.
The base station of a DECT phone always transmits at full power, so this is not a device you want sitting on your nightstand next to your bed, on your kitchen counter or even on at all if it is not necessary.
If you do use a conventional cordless phone, be sure to keep the base station at least three rooms away from where everyone sleeps and where you spend the most time during the day. Or simply keep it off except in the limited circumstances where you feel you need to use it.